Service is one of the key components in a Catholic education. Students, faculty, and staff at the University of Portland find service with and for others to be a powerful way to apply their education and faith in the world.
There are many reasons to get involved with service and social justice activities at the University of Portland. Volunteering:
- Responds to a community or individual need
- Encourages academic, emotional, and spiritual growth
- Brings new friends together
- Creates opportunity for change
- Provides practical work experience and leadership opportunities
Participating in activities that raise your awareness to social concerns and issues of justice:
- Educates you in the tradition of Catholic social teaching
- Helps you integrate your academic studies with current issues and events
- Challenges you to seek the common good in all that you do
- Encourages you to think critically about your ideas and values
- Moves you to concrete action on behalf of others
Students spend a great deal of time and effort fundraising in order to participate on these service-learning programs. Your donation will provide a life-changing experience for University of Portland students and make a positive impact on the communities they serve. Donate online here and specify the Moreau Center service-learning trip of your choice. Checks can be written to University of Portland and mailed to: Moreau Center/5000 N Willamette Blvd MSC 162/Portland, OR 97203.
Benefit Brunch highlights 2011
Benefit Brunch 2010 speaker, Rachel Prusynski
Alternative breaks and immersions are a wonderful way to serve and learn from other cultures, socio-economic groups, and even other countries. These trips provide students with a hands-on, close-up view of different populations and issues in Oregon, Washington, other parts of the West, and Latin America. Take a moment to explore the possibilities and contact the Moreau Center or the designated student coordinator for more information.
Service-Learning Trip FAQs for Students
| Pre-Orientation Immersion
| || |
Freshman Service PlungeAugust 2014
The Service Plunge provides an opportunity for 1st year and transfer students to spend your first days as a UP student volunteering with local service agencies.
| Fall Break Immersions
| Winter Break Immersion
| || January 2015 |
Learn about local urban issues and public policies affecting the poor during this immersion program in downtown Portland during the last week of winter break.
| Spring Break Immersions
| Summer Immersions